Main Sections
Blog Categories

Entries from June 1, 2007 - June 30, 2007


My father died today.

It was sudden and totally unexpected. He'd not been feeling too well last night and this morning my mother phoned MEDS who came out to see my father. They called for an ambulance to take him to hospital where it was found he had a ruptured aortic aneurysm and had been basically bleeding to death since last night.

I was at work when my wife phoned to tell me to come to the hospital. We were able to spend a little time with my father before he slipped away.


Lake Tour

Today is our last day at Lake Garda and we’d booked the private boat tour. We hadn’t realised when we booked that there would be 2.5 hours in Malcesine, a town we’d been to before, so after a brief wander I sat by the lake and fed the birds and read an English newspaper.

We had a meal in Malcesine, the waitress was very regimented about where people sat and the service was slow again so we had another rush to finish our meal and get back to the boat for the trip across the lake to Limone. By this time it was very warm and we were feeling a bit tired so after a brief walk we rested on the promenade and had an ice cream.

On the trip back we sat on the open upper deck, which was probably a bad idea as I feel my head is now burned. We’ve a very early start tomorrow, breakfast at 6.10 and coach pickup at 6.30, so we’re having an early dinner, packing and off to bed early.

The Dolomites

Today we had a full day excursion to the Dolomites. The scenery was spectacular and there were some very pretty villages. We stopped for lunch near a cable car station. The service was extremely slow, taking about one and a half hours for our meal, which buggered up our time at the top of the cable car ride. A long day – 11 hours


After breakfast we were at a bit of a loss as to what to do. The receptionist suggested visiting Arco, a village behind Riva del Garda. We caught the bus there and after a brief visit to tourist information centre we sound found ourselves in the main cathedral square. We started the hike up to the castle but it was too much for Mum so my parents went back to the square while I carried on. It was a hell of a steep hike up to the castle but I eventually made it and enjoyed the wonderful views. I then returned to the square and met with my parents. They went for a walk around the town while I rested my aching legs. We then had another nice lunch in a nearby restaurant before catching the bus back to Torbole.


We hadn’t booked any tours today so after our usual breakfast of cereal, bread, ham and cheese we walked into the centre of Torbole to take a bus to Malcesine. We waited for ages for the bus to eventually arrive and sat back for the 12km trip.

When we arrived at Malcesine we went straight to the cable car station to take the two stage trip to the top of the mountain. We had a look at the views around the station and then I walked along the north ridge to seem more views while my parents waited in a summit restaurant.

When I returned we took the cable car back down and then went to the castle where we saw an English couple getting married in the castle. We then went for lunch and I had a mixed grill and two beers - best meal yet in Italy! We then went to get the bus back, this time I had to delay the bus leaving while my parents caught up. We then bought some bits in the Coop and returned to the hotel for a rest before the Gala Dinner. Had the Gala Dinner in the evening, the food was quite good but the service dragged and the entertainment was a bit corny