Main Sections
Twitter
Blog Categories

Howstrake
Leafield And Braeside - 1897

 

In 1896-97 Baillie Scott designed Leafield and Braeside, on the King Edward Road, and, unlike his nearby Mansion House, these still charmingly fulfil their original function as private dwelling houses. They may well have been developed from his earlier design for a pair of semi-detached houses in Victoria Road, Douglas, and the facade is particularly interesting. They are finished in rough-cast with a line of twelve roundels, formed from pebbles and painted black, running their length a little below the eaves. Amusingly, Braeside has the inscription "WELCOME THE COMING SPEED THE PARTING GUEST" over its door whilst Leafield has "WELCOME EVER SMILES BUT FAREWELL GOES OUT SIGHING". The entrance porches are delightful with stable type half doors. These houses appeared both on plan and in artist's impression on the estate plan of Saunderson's proposed Cliftonville scheme of 1903 or later.

The dwellings were built speculatively for the Douglas Bay Estate Co. Braeside was occupied by 1898 and in 1900 was listed in the Village Rates Book under the name of "Bohemia". Leafield remained unoccupied in 1898 and was listed under the name of "Seafield" but this may have been an error on the part of the Commissioners' Clerk.

The houses appear on a Deed Plan of a conveyance of 18th May 1903 from the Douglas Bay Estate and Groudle Glen Co. Ltd. to Howstrake Estate Ltd., and are named on this, collectively, as Parkview Villas.

In September 1903, Braeside was sold by the estate company to Elizabeth Holt. The plan attached to the deed of sale contains an early example of the coastal road being named as King Edward's Road. This new name for the road came about following the journey made along it by tramcar, during the visit in August 1902, of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

In 1990 Leafield and Braeside were designated "registered" buildings.